From Dublin city centre: the number 66 goes to Maynooth via Leixlip village; the number 66A bus goes to Leixlip Confey via Leixlip village; and the number 66B goes to Leixlip HP via Leixlip village.
It was used as a hunting base by King John when Lord of Ireland in 1185.
In it he comments that Confey's (or Confoy as he spells it) population was 165, had formerly had a town and a castle of some importance, which were noticed by Camden.
Of the tower's remains were a massive five-storey structure with turrets at the north and west angles; that at the north angle containing a winding staircase opening through pointed arches into each storey.
In the 1920s it was the residence of the first French ambassador to the Irish Free State. Located off the main street of nearby Celbridge, Castletown House is the first grand Palladian House in Ireland – the design of the building led to the construction of Leinster House and from thence to the White House in Washington, D. Begun in 1722 by Speaker William Conolly (1662–1729), Speaker of the Irish House of Commons, the lands and the house itself lie in Celbridge, however there is also an entrance from Leixlip, hence there are two modern housing estates bearing the Castletown name, one in each town.
In 1945 the castle was sold to William Kavanagh, prior to the purchase in April 1958 by The Hon. To mark the eastern vista of Castletown a conical shaped building – The Wonderful Barn – was constructed in 1743 with the stairs ascending around the exterior of the building.